Saturday, August 23, 2008

Blast from the past...



Ever have something that's reminds you of the past so suddenly that you become instantly overwhelmed? So I'm sitting here at my computer at 12:50 am on a Sat morning thinking I should go to bed when I thought I'd check and see what the weather for Sat would be. So I went the the channel 5 website (KSDK) and noticed that one of the stories on line at that moment was that Brian Wilson had come out of retirement and had cut a new album. (CD) Who might Brian Wilson be, you might ask. (If your under 40). Brian was THE driving force behind the Beach Boys. A writing genius to say the least. But due to drugs and what nots of that era, had a tough time grasping life, fame and everyday living. Literally spent years in his room, secluding himself from everyone. Hence the song "In my Room".

Well they had some sample cuts from the CD and I just started clicking on them and discovered that there was a song called "Lucky Old Sun" on there. I was floored ! Suddenly floods of childhood memories poured into my heart as I remembered my mother walking through the house singing that very song many, many years ago. I was almost overwhelmed. My mother went to be with our Lord a little more than eight years ago. Sometimes you forget how much you miss someone until you are unexpectedly reminded of that someone not only with memories, but with memories accompanied with emotions. There is a saying around my house we use sometimes and it comes from an old M*A*S*H episode about a solider that was overcome with grief (Frank Burns) and some how Radar got a call to Burn's mom and she comforted him. When told what a good job he did Radar replied that ..."sometimes a guy just needs his mom." Very true statement. Sometimes a person just needs their mom. I miss my mom, raised 11 children and a husband. Never complained much. Tammy, my wife, says she never felt like a daughter in law around my mom, just a daughter. My two youngest, Abie and Ricky never met there grandma, she past away before Ricky was born and before Abie was sent out to us from San Fran. Although the day she past away, Feb 15, 2000, we had a picture that was sent to us from Abie's case worker and showed it to my mom in the hospital before her surgery and she said that she was the most beautiful baby she had ever seen and that she could not wait to see her. She never got the chance, she passed away later that day from complications from her surgery she had to try and relieve her airways from cancerous tumors that blocked her breathing. The point is that when she said that Abie was the most beautiful baby she'd ever seen, she would of said the same thing to the next picture of another grandchild or the next or the next and meant it every time.

I'm missing my mom very much right now. You know what they say, "Sometimes a guy just needs his mom." Not this time, but I will rely upon Christ who will provide the comfort for tonite.

My mom's name is Dorthy, that's her picture above, in her mid 30's I believe. She passed away in her late 60's. You have heard the saying that when we cross to Jordan Jesus will send a love one to help us across to the other side,I hope it's my mom.

Pretty silly, huh?

Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

Jo said...

Nothing silly at all. I am so glad that I found your blog. Thanks for sharing what was on your heart. There is never anything silly about that.
Miss seeing you..
Jo Hall

Mel said...

What a beautiful post! Your mom sounds like an amazing woman. (I hope my kids feel the same about me!) What a beautiful tribute! You are an awesome son and I'm sure she is so very proud of you and your family.