Friday, November 7, 2008

I guess it's me....

I thought I had a pretty good handle on what "should" be important to us in the past election. I guess I was wrong. It seems that the only ones who have the right to their own opinion are the ones who agree with the "Mainstream".

People have told me again about not being able to legislate morality, the abortion issue. I really wish someone will explain that to me. Is murder, and I am not talking about abortion here, a moral issue or a legal issue? Is not murder illegal because we as a society have decided that murder is morally wrong? Stealing? Is that also morally wrong? Forgive me, I'm confused!

Should not the chance of challenging Roe vs Wade been at least a consideration for my vote.

I went to the "website" and seen that our President elect.."Barack Obama understands that abortion is a divisive issue, and respects those who disagree with him. However, he has been a consistent champion of reproductive choice and will make preserving women's rights under Roe v. Wade a priority as President. He opposes any constitutional amendment to overturn the Supreme Court's decision in that case." source change.gov website of the president elect.

I'm still confused. A woman's right. I suppose he's talking a woman's right to choose what to do with her own body. Still confused though! A pregnant woman walks into a abortion clinic. Has an abortion. Comes out with every part of her body that she walk in with. Correct? Only thing missing is the baby that was in her womb. it's dead. Woman's choice to do with "HER BODY" as she chooses. Dose not sound like her body at all. Someone help me here! I'm so confused.

You look at the "Whats the most important issue that America faces" polls that you see all the time and the right to a life of a unborn baby is not there. Money is. Health care is. The Iraqi war is. Global warming is. I wonder why. Oh that's right, you cannot legislate morality. But I'm still confused.

I'm not a educated man. Barely made it out of high school. But I still believe that God will judge this nation one day for the disposal, (I tried to use a political correct word here, but I'm gonna change my mind and call it what it is,) the killing of it's unborn baby's. I am not a political person. Could not wait till the election was over. To get rid of the ads. One thing I did notice though was that they all were for the "Children", as they should be, but only the ones who were allowed to be born. But I guess that's just me. I'm feeling lonelier and lonelier on this issue, or at least that's how I see it.

3 comments:

Mel said...

Rick...you are truly one of the kindest men I have ever met in my life...I know that this issue on abortion tears you up, because your heart is so tender and your compassion so great.

I would love to articulate my thoughts to you better...a few written words won't do it. I have the unique perspective of being female, being a mom at an unusually young age, and having walked that road not myself but with some really good friends who have forever been impacted and changed by abortion.

It is a heart wrenching subject, it's like the little boy I blogged about that haunts my thoughts that was sold as a sex slave at age 3...I cry over that almost daily. And I realize there is absolutely nothing I can do to change his reality in this moment. The only way to make this better? I don't know if there is better here on earth....but I know Jesus wraps those babies up in his arms when their little souls find their way to him.

That's why what we are doing here is so important...impacting people's lives one person at a time. It still remains always about the relationships. Look at it this way...if someone who was hurting and had an abortion came to someone that is a "Christian" what should they know about what we think about them? Shouldn't we be their safe harbor, that little glimpse of Jesus in a very broken world? They don't deserve our judgement, they deserve healing and loving them out of the pain and sadness they are in. Women who have abortions - don't do it flippantly, they mostly do it from a place of being scared - backs against the wall - no other options kind of decision. It's not a good place to be...many of those women will carry the scars of that moment for the rest of their lives. I have a friend barely older than me that cries still today over that one decision a long time ago when she was just a child herself really. She beats herself without mercy over every milestone in that invisible child's life, it is painful and sad to watch. Is there a perfect answer? No, unfortunately there isn't.

I do know that whether women make the choice to have an abortion or not our responsibility is to love them....anyway. Do our best to live our lives in a way that they see something and want it so badly for their own life that they allow God to change them from the inside out.

Like I said...not easy to get my point across on paper. My blog post wasn't directed to you...it was more a sadness...people losing friendships over who they voted for? That's just crazy!!!! That is what distress me. (and I'm talking about a whole other event that happened this past week)

Rick, this family has lost a lot of friends since Michael was let go at the church...that reality was sobering and heartbreaking. It made me realize that people couldn't come down on opposite sides of anything and remain intact. When lines are drawn, people think they have to pick one side or the other. I have lost great friendships....but my belief is that even if we disagree we still value the person and the relationship. If it's a relationship worth having.

So - chin up good friend...the fight is not over...impacting lives one at a time...that is your greatest contribution....don't let this get you side-tracked. You have an amazing impact on everyone that meets you, but didn't you already know that?

fish said...

As we have already talk, mel I hold no judgement for thoses who have had an abortion. Only love, compassion, and offer the healing that only Christ can give. I do however have a problem with those who perform, encourage and legislate it. But not for the ones who have them. You are correct, some of them see no other way out, and we need to reach out to them. Our at least, Thats how I see it.

Jo said...

Just remember that God didnt promise us this world. He promised us heaven. So we just need to live lives that show people the way to our true home.
As long as we live on this planet.. we will see the evil one at work. But thankfully because of the love of Jesus.. this is not our home.
Keep on sharing Jesus..
Jo